Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Charmed, I'm Sure

He held the door open for a woman, without being prompted or asked.   One of my boys did that yesterday.  I was proud.

That night the same boy heard his father coughing and when dad didn't respond to "are you okay," he sprinted down the stairs to check on dad.   Again, I was proud.   And pleased.  

I am charmed by manners and chivalry.  I like it when men remove their hats indoors (except, of course, in temple).  I am touched when they place those same hats over their hearts during the Pledge of Allegiance or Star Spangled Banner.  Or when I am ushered through a door first, even though it means that I will have the first place in line (and, in kindness,  I always offer that position to the door holder).  I have asked my boys to stand when I enter a room; not to worry, they don't - they laugh at me, especially my husband.

I was not always this way.  Indeed, I refused to say the Pledge in sixth grade (though I stood quietly and pretended, in lieu of protesting) because I didn't think that there was "liberty and justice for all."  In my younger years, I infuriated quite a few men by insisting on opening my own door or paying my own way.  Now, however, I find it charming.  Perhaps I always did.

One of my favorite memories is my high school boyfriend pushing me to the side while walking down the street.  After several shoves, I asked what he was doing.  He said he was supposed to walk on the outside, nearer the street, to protect me.  I likely objected on some radical feminist principle (though I don't actually recall doing so), but that moment has always made me smile.  

Maybe, just maybe, my boys are on the road to chivalry themselves . . . After all, yesterday's woman did smile.  And it wasn't me.  









No comments:

Post a Comment