Thursday, December 9, 2010

Phone Talk

Mid-afternoon on a workday, my home phone rang.  It was my husband.  "What's wrong?" I asked.  Nothing, he responded.  He had just called to chat.  I was shocked.

Most of my friends speak to their spouses several times daily.  They check in, chit chat, say hi.  Not us.  My hubby and I don't usually talk during the day, unless there's an "issue," usually regarding the kids.  Don't misunderstand . . . we email.  But, telephone calls, not so much.

I don't like talking on the phone  . . . to anyone.  I'm thrilled to talk in person.  Happy to email or text.  The phone, however, bothers me.  For starters, telephone talk allows for my distraction; I can do many other things while cordless on speakerphone.  As a result, I don't give full attention to the conversation.  That probably explains why I've also experienced more misunderstandings by phone than any other communication method.

The mere sound of a ringing phone, landline or mobile, irritates me.  But retrieving messages is worse, so I answer.  Just don't expect me to talk.  Or listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment