Monday, February 28, 2011

Citizen Carlin

I am on jury duty this week.  As a firm believer in the civic duty to judge one's peers, whether in court, by fashion, parenting or otherwise, I did not try to postpone my service.  I did, however, cancel all of my and my children's appointments for this week after receiving my jury summons merely three weeks ago (in other words, short notice).  I figured the Court wouldn't care that I need to have a doctor examine a new bump or that the kids need their tutors and therapists.  This week my eldest and only licensed son is home and can do driving in a pinch.  And next week I am fully booked.

It's been awhile since I was last called to serve.  Probably about ten years.  Not coincidentally, it happens about the same time I renew my drivers license which expires every decade.  Last time was a breeze:  I reported to Larchmont Village Court in the middle of a park for one day and was dismissed nearly immediately.  They didn't need us, but we were still exempted from service for some period of time.  Ten years before that, I went to federal court in Manhattan, sat for days before I was voir dired for two year grand jury service.  I begged my way out of that; two years was unreasonable, untenable and a financial hardship to a practicing lawyer paid hourly.   My ultimate escape clause, to myself, was a promise to immediately get pregnant if required to serve.  I was not but did get pregnant shortly thereafter anyway.

Now, the process is different.  I sit here at home, typing and wondering whether and when I will actually need to report to the Court.  This is not a complaint, just a fact, and actually an improvement on my first experience.  Per the summons, I called in Friday evening to find out whether my number was up; that is, whether juror #A0242 was to report on Monday February 28.  The answer was no; only jurors through number 166, if memory serves, were called.  I am to phone back this evening to find out whether I must show tomorrow.

It sounds good so far, but I've already noted flaws in the system.  I live in a suburban community where people like me drive to their destinations.  The Commissioner of Jurors doesn't seem to care that I am as likely to take a bus (no subways here) to White Plains as pigs are to fly.   I must park at my own expense of 75 cents per hour and make sure to bring enough quarters, unless I am actually serving on a trial.

I wonder, how much is this civic duty going to cost me?  If I have to hire someone to drive my kids it's $20 a pop.  If I'm not home to prepare dinner, what's the incremental cost of bringing in, not that anyone at home would complain.  I'm curious.  I hope you are too . . . stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment