Monday, February 14, 2011

My Eight-Year Old Just Asked for An Apple

Ipad.  He said everyone else in the family has an iphone (he doesn't have any phone) but he wants the big one.


According to him, it looks like fun.  I don't disagree, as I've written before (http://mauramusing.blogspot.com/2010/11/eden-like-temptation.html).

However, besides my unequivocal unwillingness to buy a $700 toy for a little kid,  I just can't deal with acquiring any more technical "things" that require maintenance.  I am the family tech support, albeit without training or inclination.   I spent two-plus hours today convincing the PC to allow my son to play Lego Universe.  Apparently, my permission was not enough.  The firewall (also installed and updated by me) needed a formal say-so . . . and renewal of the anti-virus protection.  I also cleared out the cookies, cleaned up the disk and checked out the internet connection.  Making it more difficult is that fact that the rest of the house has gone Mac.  I no longer think like a PC and I don't do Windows.

Bottom line:  kid would be better off asking for a real apple - peeled, cored and cut.  Anything else would be the pits.  All puns intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment