Friday, March 11, 2011

Pocket Change

Coins fell out of my jeans.  A quarter, a dime, a nickel.  Flashback:  the exact change needed to buy a hot lunch in my elementary school back in the day.  Those three pieces, together, always take me back to that lunchroom, with the ladies in hairnets, the mashed potatoes and whole milk.  My boys will not have any similar recollections.

Our elementary school does not have a kitchen with lunch ladies preparing meals.   Hot meals may only be ordered in advance through a service that delivers the requested meals, individually wrapped.   Payment is online by parents; the students never handle the money.   Of course it costs more as well - a still reasonable $2.50 for a full hot lunch.  It might even cost more to bring food from home.

I make lunches anyway.  The coins stay home.

No comments:

Post a Comment